• This topic has 5 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 7 months ago by Artyczar.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

  • Author

    Posts

  • April 22, 2015 at 11:18 am #992931

    hi all, i am a relative newbie to colored pencils i have work with them on paper a bit . i am wondering if it is possible to do colored pencils on canvas? as well as what colored pencils on canvas would look like? pictures please:confused:

    April 22, 2015 at 3:32 pm #1223726

    Good question. Have seen cp on wood. Curious to see responses.

    "The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself." - Quoting Robin

    April 23, 2015 at 5:48 pm #1223728

    Yes, cp can be used on canvas. Member bleuie does his pieces on canvas. Here is one of them. Check out his others. I have seen some others tackle it, but names are escaping me at the moment. :)

    ELAINE~ Moderator -Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman] New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman] New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners. [FONT=Times New Roman]
    Instagram

    Save

    April 25, 2015 at 10:45 am #1223725

    I've done it but don't like it. It's hard to erase. I work in a very painterly style and being able undo is important in my process.

    I DO like cps to lay out my oil paintings, though.

    Robin
    My Oil Painting Pet Portraits: https://robinzebley.com

    April 30, 2015 at 1:25 pm #1223727

    You can get the real fine canvas that is part polyester. I have some but haven't tried the pencils on it. I did buy a whole roll of it for oil painting. I think you can get it one those canvas boards that are canvas glued to cardboard.

    Yeah there's been talk and testing about it. Here are my thoughts on it:

    Well I tried this, on a small 18x14cm canvas. Good thing it was small too, I hated it. I really dislike the little white dots that get left in, no matter how much you rub in color… I would go over an area, thinking I've got them covered, only to come back the next day and find lots of white dots again. I swear my canvas is alive.

    I found blending to be no problem though, and I was able to erase color in some areas as well (with a proper eraser, not putty). I used Polychromos on a pre-treated ready to use canvas, didn't add any more gesso. I don't know if this is what you would call a canvas panel, basically not the kind of canvas that is stretched over a wooden frame, rather it's stretched onto something only a few millimeters thick.

    And here's my finished picture: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20394178#post20394178

    The full 4 page thread is here: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1366115

    Art with wings - Birds and other animal portraits
    [/SIZE] Website[/SIZE] | [/SIZE][/SIZE] Facebook | [/SIZE]DeviantArt
    [/SIZE]

  • Author

    Posts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.